Friday, August 24, 2007

My clutter-ful life


It's late August, back-to-school time! It's a time when kids think they need a whole new wardrobe or they won't be cool...even if we're talking the second grade! I'm the Mom of six children ages 2, 4, 6, 10, 12 and 13 and I'm at midlife so our life is a combination VERY busy and a VERY tired Mom!

So it's that time again, sort out the "don't fits" and the "can't stand its" and shop on EBay for items more coveted. It's time to bring clothes to resale outlets or good will or, if they're good enough, sell on EBay. Ahhh the techno age.

The thing is, with six kids, this is an on-going task, I'm ALWAYS somewhere in this process ALL the time and my front room looks like I never ever clean..it's because it's always in this state of confusion. To make matters worse, everyone thinks that because I have six kids, I must not be able to afford clothes. So lo-and-behold, I step out for an hour or two and invariably there'll be a bag of clothes left on the front porch. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bargain, but man, sometimes I get shoes I wouldn't let a dog chew and clothes too ratty to dust with. I'm totally serious! Do we look THAT bad? It's just like when I was a kid, growing up on the farm, everyone and his uncle thought farmers need cats for mousing and that a farm can always feed twelve more cats by virtue of the amount of milk on hand. Same with having a lot of children, surely we could use the clothes, no matter how bad they are! Inconspicuously dropping off a bag or two at my house is a lot easier than loading them into the car and heading to the Salvation Army OR heaven-forbid, asking first!

One time a friend of my eldest drops by and I hear everyone say their hellos to him so I thought he must've forgotten my son was gone to his Dad's house and so he left. After I resurrected myself from the soap and the pots and pans I see he brought over 3 trashbags full of clothes. It was a nice gesture however two of my kids had already torn the bags open looking for goodies and strewn the clothes high and low because they weren't for them. To make matters worse they were size 7 and size 8 women's clothes and well..I haven't been a 7 or 8 since like 1969. ahem..so... Since his mom is my friend I called her up and thanked her and she said she didn't even know what was in the bags, she had just told her son to bring them to our house figuring I'd just take them to Salvation Army if I didn't want them. See how easy it is? Leave em at my house and >>I'LL<<> deal with it! After all ...I have nothing else to do ;)

No comments: